5th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
5th Illinois Volunteer Infantry (1898-1898) - Organized and mustered into the service of the United States at Springfield May 4 to 9 with 50 officers and 974 enlisted men.
- Assigned to First Brigade, First Division, First Army Corps, May 16
- Transferred to First Brigade, Second Division, First Army Corps
- Left Springfield May 14; arrived at Chickamauga, Ga., May 16
- Left Chickamauga for Newport News, Va., August 3
- Ordered to Lexington, Ky., August 13
- Ordered to Springfield, Ill., August 29
- Furloughed for thirty days
Mustered out at Springfield, Ill., October 16, 1898, with 48 officers and 1,212 enlisted men. Casualties while in service: Officers-none. Enlisted men-died of disease, 17; deserted, 7.
- Correspondence Relating to the War with Spain, Center for Military History, U.S. Army, Vol 1
- The Organization of the Army during the Spanish-American War, page 509
- Organization of Volunteers, page 581