Advanced Redoubt (1845-1870) - Construction began in 1845 and was not complete at the start of the U.S. Civil War. Located on present day Pensacola Naval Air Station in Escambia County, Florida. Confederate troops occupied the Advanced Redoubt at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War but were expelled in 1862 by Union Forces. Abandoned in 1870
The Redoubt was constructed to work in conjunction with Fort Barrancas to defend the tip of the Pensacola peninsula and the Pensacola Navy Yard from attack by land. Fort Barrancas and the Advanced Redoubt were positioned at the southern and northern edge of the peninsula at the narrowest point so that any enemy force attempting to take the Pensacola Navy Yard would have to pass between the forts and cross the trench line that connected them.
The Advanced Redoubt is trapezoid with two long unequal sides with the shortest side toward the landward direction of attack. The Redoubt has a dry moat with a drawbridge to the entrance, but unlike Barrancas the moat completely surrounds the fort. The redoubt was designed to make a landward assault by foot soldiers as costly as possible. The outer walls of the moat feature rifle ports that would create a deadly crossfire. The ramparts mounted fifteen guns.
The Advanced Redoubt was made part of Gulf Islands National Seashore in the 1970s and restored to its original appearance by the National Park Service. Restoration work continues. No period guns or carriages at this location.
Visited: 26 Apr 2013, 31 Dec 2011, 16 Dec 2009
Advanced Redoubt Picture Gallery