Battery 109 (1944-NA) - Battery 109 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 16 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Greene (2), Washington County, Rhode Island. Battery construction started 25 Aug 1942, was completed 31 Oct 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 18 Jul 1944 at a cost of $ 1,705,667. Deactivated in NA.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as an World War II casemated concrete coastal gun battery with two 16" MarkII-M1 guns, one mounted on an M4 Barbette carriage and the other mounted on an M5 Barbette carriage. This battery was a single level battery with the guns located on the same level as the central magazine. Each gun emplacement was casemated with heavy, reinforced concrete overhead protection and earth covering. The central magazine was built between and connecting the gun emplacements so that the powder and shells could be brought directly to the guns. See 16" Rifle MarkII-M1.
Construction on this battery was ordered curtailed 20 Nov 1943 with the #1 carriage partially mounted and the remaining carriage and guns stored in the battery. The battery itself was almost complete except for the power units which were also deferred. The battery was accepted for service 18 Jul 1944 with the guns and carriages not installed.
The battery was declared excess on 30 Apr 1947 and ordered disposed 10 May 1948.
Part of Fisherman's Memorial State Park. No period guns or mounts in place.