|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery 126 (1942-1948) - A World War II era Battery built in 1942 as a reinforced concrete Coast Artillery Battery on Fort Rosecrans, San Diego County, California. Construction began 12 Jun 1942 and was completed 16 Mar 1944. The Battery was turned over for service 19 Oct 1944 at a cost of $1,323,912.38. Renamed Battery Ashburn in G.O. 69, 22 Dec 1942, after Major General Thomas Quinn Ashburn, USA. Declared surplus in May 1948.
Battery 126 History
Battery 126 was a battery of two, 16" MarkII-M1 naval guns casemated in an earth covered reinforced concrete support structure. Two sets of powder and shell rooms inside the concrete support structure formed the magazines and were on the same level as the guns. Powder and shells were moved from the magazines to the gun loading platforms by an overhead rail and hoist system or by shot carts. The guns were traversed and elevated by electrical motors. Electrical power was furnished by three internal generator sets and commercial power.
The battery Plotting, Switchboard and Radio (PSR) room was located 875' north and east of gun emplacement #1, in a large underground concrete structure, to minimize the effects of the concussion from the guns firing. The PSR was transferred to the Cast Artillery for service on 16 June 1944 at a cost of $ 168,141.72.
The gun tubes were mounted in March 1944 but the gun shields did not arrive until early 1945. The guns were proof fired in July 1944 without the shields. The battery was declared surplus in May 1948. The guns and the shields were scrapped.
|1||16" Rifle||816"||MarkII-M1||71||Bethlehem||LR Barbette M-4, #31, Wellman||1944-1948||See note 1|
|2||16" Rifle||816"||MarkII-M1||97||Watervliet||LR Barbette M-4, #39, Watertown||1944-1948||See note 1|
|Source: RCW Form1, 24 Nov 1944, CDSG, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 176-177|
Note 1: Navy guns transferred 18 Apr 1943, mounted Mar 1944. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
In use on active military installation. No guns or carriages in place. No public access inside. Public road (Cabrillo Drive) passes right by all three rear entrances.
Location: Alongside Cabrillo Drive in Cabrillo National Monument, San Diego County, California
Maps & Images Lat: 32.6783279 Long: -117.2443181
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of San Diego, (HDSD-AN-45), 1 Jul 1945, CDSG
Visited: 22 Jan 2013
Battery 126 Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!