Battery 205 (1944-NA) - Battery 205 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Foster (1), Gerrish Island, York County, Maine. Battery construction started 10 Nov 1942, was completed 8 Sep 1944 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for conditional use 8 Sep 1944 at a cost of $ 265,079.00. Never armed or activated.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery for two 6" T2-M1 rapid fire guns mounted on M4 Shielded Barbette Carriages (SBC) placed on either side of an earth covered reinforced concrete magazine and support structure. Power was supplied by internal generators and commercial power. The battery was conditionally accepted on 8 Sep 1944 with the carriages in place but without any gun tubes. The gun tubes were never delivered and the battery was never operational.
A six story square concrete observation tower was built for this battery to house the BC station and operations functions. The top two floors were to contain a command post and an operations post. The tower was placed about 250' to the left of gun emplacement #2. The tower was accepted for service on 19 May 1943 at a cost of $ 10,630.00.
Part of Fort Foster City Park, Gerrish Island, York County, Maine. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 21 Jun 2012