Battery 22 (1942-1944) - Battery 22 was a reinforced concrete, World War II 155 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Miles, Sussex County, Delaware. Battery construction started 15 Dec 1941, was completed 15 Jun 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 14 Apr 1944 at a cost of $ 21,480.00. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Delaware.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with four 155mm M1918MI guns mounted on M1917 mobile carriages emplaced on concrete Panama Mounts. Four igloo magazines constructed of corrugated sheet metal were placed behind the gun positions. The guns were emplaced in 1942 and removed in February 1944. One of the first temporary batteries on Fort Miles.
Panama mounts remain between a parking lot and the beach. Panama mount #1 is underneath the beach house boardwalk. No period guns or carriages in place.
Visited: 3 Aug 2010