Battery AMTB 961
Battery AMTB 961 (1943-1946) - Battery AMTB 961 was a reinforced concrete World War II AMTB rapid fire 90mm gun battery on Fort Williams (1), Cumberland County, Maine. Battery construction started 18 Feb 1943, was completed 7 Jul 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 27 Nov 1943 at a cost of $10,920.85. Deactivated in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portland, Maine.
The AMTB battery at Fort Williams (1) consisted of two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M3 fixed gun mounts and two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M1A1 mobile gun mounts. Concrete pads were provided for both fixed guns and often wooden gun platforms were provided for the mobile guns. Two earth covered magazines provided protection for the ammunition. Electric power was provided by two M-7 auxiliary generators. A small 11' by 11' BC Station was provided between the two earth covered magazines.
The battery had a dual mission of defense against fast enemy motor torpedo boats and enemy aircraft. The effective range of the guns was about 8,000 yards or 4.5 miles. Each weapon required a crew of 15, 9 men in the gun squad and 6 men in the ammunition squad.
No period guns or mounts in place. Gun emplacement #2 is exposed but gun emplacement #1 is covered with shrubbery and cedar chips.
Visited: 5 Jun 2013