Battery B - Fort Moultrie
Battery B - Fort Moultrie (1942-1947) - Battery B was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort Moultrie, Sullivan's Island, Charleston County, South Carolina. Battery construction started 27 Jul 1942, was completed 8 Dec 1942. and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 15 Dec 1942 at a cost of $ 10,008.53. Deactivated in 1947.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with four 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 mobile marriages emplaced on semi-circular Panama mounts.
No period guns or carriages in place. Partial remains of at least one of the semi-circular concrete emplacements was located on the beach very near the waters edge at the time of our visit. Beach conditions vary and this Panama Mount may not be visible and others may become exposed.
Visited: 2 Feb 2018, 23 Jan 2010