Battery Bankhead (2)
Battery Bankhead (2) (1907-1913) - Battery Bankhead (2) was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Adams (1), Newport County, Rhode Island. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Bvt. MG James Bankhead, U.S. Army (Col. 2nd U.S. Artillery), who served with distinction during the War of 1812, the Seminole Wars, and the Mexican-American War, and who died 11 Nov 1856. Battery construction started in October 1904, was completed in 1906 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 31 Jul 1907 at a cost of $ 63,036.46. Deactivated in 1913.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Narragansett Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with three 6" Armstrong guns mounted on Armstrong pedestal mounts. This was a two story battery with the guns located on the upper level and two magazines located on the lower level. One magazine served gun emplacement #1 and the second, larger magazine served gun emplacements #2 and #3. No shell or powder hoists were provided. Electric power was furnished from Battery Edgerton.
All three guns and carriages were transferred to Fort Kamehameha, Honolulu, Hawaii on 26 Sep 1913. They were all ordered salvaged on 6 Sep 1921.
A combined post telephone and fire control switchboard was later built into the smaller magazine between emplacements #1 and #2.
Part of Fort Adams State Park. No period guns or mounts in place.