|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Dimick (1905-1917) - Battery Justin Dimick was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 6 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Terry, Plum Island, Suffolk County, New York. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904, after Justin E. Dimick, U.S. Artillery, who died 5 May 1863, of wounds received in action at Chancellorsville, Virginia, 3 May 1863, during the U.S. Civil War. Battery construction started in April 1903, was completed in July 1905 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 31 Aug 1905 at a cost of $ 57,500.00. Deactivated in 1917.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Long Island Sound.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 6" M1903 guns mounted on M1903 Disappearing carriages. This was a single story battery with the guns and the magazines on the same level and a short staircase to the gun loading platform. Electrical power was furnished by the emplacement power plant at Battery Stoneman.
|1||6" Rifle||302.9"||M1903||35||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1903, #37, Wellman||1905-1917||See note 1|
|2||6" Rifle||302.9"||M1903||54||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1903, #38, Wellman||1905-1917||See note 1|
|Source: RCW Form 1, 31 Aug 1905, Coastal Defense Study Group, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 98-99, 206|
Note 1: Guns transferred to Watervliet 19 Nov 1917, carriages ordered scrapped 26 May 1920. CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA
The U.S. entry into World War I resulted in a widespread removal of large caliber coastal defense gun tubes for service in Europe. Many of the gun and mortar tubes removed were sent to arsenals for modification and mounting on mobile carriages, both wheeled and railroad. Most of the removed gun tubes never made it to Europe and were either remounted or remained at the arsenals until needed elsewhere. The guns of Battery Dimick were ordered dismounted for service overseas on 24 Aug 1917. They were transferred on 19 Nov 1917 to Watervliet arsenal and eventually found their way to France. The carriages were ordered scrapped 26 May 1920. Battery Dimick was not rearmed.
Now on Plum Island Animal Disease Center (PIADC) operated by U.S. DHS. No period guns or mounts in place.
Location: Plum Island, Suffolk County, New York
Maps & Images Lat: 41.188897 Long: -72.163812
- U.S.Army, Supplement to the Harbor Defense Project of Long Island Sound, (HDLIS-AN-45), 15 Feb 1945, CDSG
Battery Dimick Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!