Battery Gaines (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Gaines probably after Brigadier General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, War of 1812 Veteran. Battery abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Gaines
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthen field gun battery.
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1680414
Location: Northwest Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.93917 Long: -77.08889