|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Battery Nicholson (1900-1927) - Battery Nicholson was a concrete Endicott Period 6" gun battery located on Fort Howard (1), Maryland. The Battery was named 11 Feb 1902 for Joseph H. Nicholson who commanded the volunteer artillery at Fort McHenry when it was under British attack in September 1814. Battery construction started in 1899, was completed in 1900 and transferred to the Coastal Artillery for use 8 May 1900 at a total cost of $ 37,028.73. Deactivated in 1927.
Battery Nicholson History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Baltimore.
Battery Nicholson was a reinforced concrete Endicott Period 6" gun battery with two M1897 guns mounted on M1898 Carriages.
The battery consisted of two 6" gun emplacements 125' apart separated by the main battery structure with a separate shell and powder room for each gun emplacement. The plotting room for Battery Nicholson was relocated 19 Nov 1920 to emplacement #1 of Battery Stricker which had been deactivated by that time.
The carriages were sent to Fort Howard on 6 Jan 1900 from the Philadelphia Engineering Works. The Battery was deactivated in 1927. The guns and carriages were removed on 4 Aug 1927 and shipped to Aberdeen Ordnance Depot.
|1||6" Rifle||276"||M1897||13||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1898, #23, Philadelphia Engineering||1900-1927||See Note 1|
Rounds fired 30
|2||6" Rifle||276"||M1897||26||Watervliet||Disappearing, M1898, #22, Philadelphia Engineering||1900-1927||See Note 1|
Rounds fired 60
|Source: Coastal Defense Study Group, RCW Form 1 1 Jan 1920, Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 94, 208|
Note 1: CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA, CDSG gun carriage card collection from NARA.
On Fort Howard County Park, Maryland. No period guns or carriages are in place.
Location:On Fort Howard County Park, Maryland.
Maps & Images Lat: 39.1964011 Long: -76.4444804
- Coastal Defense Study Group, CDSG Press, CDSG Digital Library
- U.S. Corps of Engineers, Report of Completed Works - Seacoast Fortifications (RCW) from NARA, CDSG file: HowardRCW.pdf
- Form 7, page 10, dated 1 Jan 1920.
- Form 1, page 9, dated 1 Jan 1920
- CDSG Gun Card Collection from NARA, CDSG file: 6in M1897 Guns 001.pdf, page 3,5.
- CDSG gun carriage card collection from NARA, CDSG file: 6in DC M1898 001.pdf, page 3.
- U.S. Corps of Engineers, Engineering Journal from NARA, CDSG file: EngBalt.pdf, pages 14-18.
- U.S. Corps of Engineers, Report of Completed Batteries, Etc. (RCB) from NARA, CDSG file: baltimoreRCB.pdf, pages 3, 11
- Berhow, Mark A. ed, American Seacoast Defenses: A Reference Guide, 2nd Edition, CDSG Press, McLean, VA, 2004, ISBN 0-9748167-0-1, pages 94, 208.
Visited: 3 Apr 2009
Battery Nicholson Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!