Battery Parrott (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Parrott in G.O. 83, 1 Apr 1863, after Robert P. Parrott, (Cullum 363), formerly a captain of ordnance, inventor of the Parrott gun. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Battery Parrott
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 with emplacements for two 100-pounder Parrott guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Battery Parrott, Capt. Frederic E. Shaw commanding.–Garrison, one company First Maine Heavy Artillery–1 commissioned officer, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 46 men. Armament, two 100-pounder Parrots. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Garrison is sufficient."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Some remains still visible, no markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531299
Location: Several sources indicate that the battery was located at present day 2300 Foxhall Road, Northwest Washington DC. The GNIS coordinates indicate a different location and may be in error. Both map points are shown.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.92055 Long: -77.0905
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 138.