Battery Reno (1862-1866) - A Union U.S. Civil War earthworks gun battery established in 1862 in Northwest Washington DC. Battery abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war.
Fort Reno and Battery Reno Trace Overlaid on Current Streets
History of Battery Reno
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1862 as an earthworks gun battery with emplacements for seven guns. The battery was built to better cover the area north of Fort Reno (1) and was connected to that fort with rifle trenches and a covert way guarded by gun emplacements. The battery itself was an enclosed work with a magazine and mounted seven 20 pounders.
Fort Reno & Battery Reno Detailed Plan
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort (sic Battery) Reno, Capt. S. E. Jones commanding.–Garrison, one company Seventh New York Heavy Artillery– 5 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 149 men. Armament, seven 20-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, indifferent; wants improving. Drill in infantry, very indifferent; but little attention seems to have been given to it. Discipline, deficient. Garrison is of sufficient strength."
The battery was abandoned in 1866 after the end of the war.
No remains, mentioned on the nearby Fort Reno Markers.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531009
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 138.
Visited: 26 May 2013