Camp Augur (1869-1871) - Established 28 Jun 1869 as a sub post of Fort Bridger by 1st Lt. Patrick H. Breslin, 4th U.S. Infantry, named after Brigadier General Christopher C. Augur. Reorganized as a separate post 28 Mar 1870 and renamed Camp Brown (2) after Captain Frederick H. Brown, 15th U.S. Infantry, killed in the Fetterman massacre. Camp Brown (2) was moved to Fort Washakie in 1871. Also known as Fort Augur.
Established to protect both local Indian tribes and settlers in the Sweetwater Mining District.
Built as a 175' by 125' enclosure surrounded by a ditch. The enclosure protected log cabins with sod roofs.
Granite marker set into the wall of the Central Wyoming College Building at 427 Main St.
Visited: 16 Sep 2012