Camp Cuba Libre
Camp Cuba Libre (1898-1899) - A Spanish American War 7th Army Corps organization and training camp first established as Camp Springfield in May 1898 in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida. Renamed Camp Cuba Libre in early June 1898. Abandoned in January 1899.
History of Camp Cuba Libre
The camp was planned for a maximum of 20,000 men but grew to 31,000 by September 1898. There were three primary locations within the camp with separate locations for each of the regiments.
The main original camp was describe as "... camp boundaries were Iona Street on the east, 8th street on the north, Main Street on the west, and 1st street on the south." This original camp was located near the rail facilities but spread north as more units arrived, reaching the water's edge at Trout Creek.
Sub Camps of Camp Cuba Libre:
The war ended quickly and troops were quckly mustered out. The camp was abandoned on 11 Jan 1899 when the last soldier left.
No remains in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida.