Camp Norway (1940-1945) - A World War II Norwegian Training Camp established in 1940 near Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada. Reduced in 1943 when the gunnery school moved to Travers Island in New York and abandoned at the end of the war in 1945.
Established in Canada during World War II by the Norwegian government after the German invasion of Norway. The majority of the Norwegian merchant fleet was at sea when the invasion took place and they were ordered to allied ports by the Norwegian King. At that time the Norwegian merchant fleet numbered some 1100 ships and 1024 were at sea when the attack on Norway came on 9 Apr 1940. All of the Norwegian merchant fleets then headed for allied ports. The fleet was then armed and incorporated into the allied convoy system supplying Great Britain and Russia. Camp Norway provided gunnery and other training for some of the ships crews.
Camp Norway was officially established on 29 Nov 1940 and grew to provide some 635 gunners for merchant ships and 450 crewmen for the converted whalers and other ships. The Norwegians at Camp Norway also established a battery of two 75mm guns to protect the harbor entrance. That battery was incorporated into the Canadian coastal defense system.
The camp was reduced when the gunnery training was moved to Travers Island, New York in June 1943. The memorial indicates that the Camp operated up until the end of the war in 1945.
Memorial stone and flags at the camp site. Some of the original buildings remain at the site and have been repurposed by the current owner, ABCO Industries.
Visited: 25 Jun 2013