Fort Grant (1) (1860-1873) - A U.S. Army post established in 1860 as Camp San Pedro River by Captain Richard S. Ewell and troops from the 1st U.S. Dragoons at Fort Buchanan (1). Located on the north bank of Aravaipa Creek south of present-day Dudleyville in Pinal County, Arizona. See the name history below. Abandoned in 1873 for Fort Grant (2). Also known as Fort Aravaipa, Fort Breckinridge (1), Camp Stanford and Camp Grant (1).
The second U.S. Army post in the Arizona Territory in the Gadsden Purchase. Established to protect emigrant wagon trains and to control hostile Apache Indians.
The garrison was withdrawn at the beginning of the U.S. Civil War and it was burned to prevent it from being used by intruding Confederates from Texas. The fort was regarrisoned on 18 May 1862 by California volunteer troops under Lieutenant Colonel Joseph R. West who renamed the post Camp Stanford. That garrison was withdrawn on 29 Jun 1862 and the post remained without a garrison until after the war.
In October 1865 Colonel Thomas F. Wright, 2nd California Volunteer Infantry, reestablished the post and on 1 Nov 1865 it was renamed Camp Grant (1).
The camp was abandoned on 31 Mar 1873 in favor of a new Fort Grant (2) established in present-day Graham County. The old site was turned over to the Department of the Interior for disposal on 22 Jul 1884.
Few remains on private property south of Dudleyville, Pinal County, Arizona
Location: About 9 miles south of Dudleyville, Pinal County, Arizona. Map point may not be accurate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 32.841442 Long: -110.711076
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: .....'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 38
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 13
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 4
- AZ0084 - Fort Grant (1)
- AZ0243 - Camp San Pedro River
- AZ0007 - Fort Aravaipa
- AZ0027 - Fort Breckinridge (1)
- AZ0255 - Camp Stanford
- AZ0305 - Fort Breckenridge
- AZ0298 - Camp Wright (2)
- AZ0083 - Camp Grant (1)