Camp Savage (1942-1946) - A temporary U.S. Army camp established in 1942 during World War II in Scott County, Minnesota. Housed a Japanese language school for U.S. soldiers. Named after the nearby town of Savage, Minnesota. Abandoned in 1946 after the end of the war.
Established in 1942 as a Military Intelligence Service School to train U.S. soldiers in the Japanese language.
The post was built out on 132 acres near the town of Savage, Minnesota. The camp came to have temporary World War II style barracks, classrooms, mess halls, officer's mess and other support buildings.
The school was transferred from the Presidio of San Francisco when west coast Japanese were ordered evacuated and interred. The school started on 1 Jun 1942 with 200 students and grew in 1944 to have 1100 students and 92 instructors. The school graduated more than 6,000 soldiers of Japanese, Korean and Chinese descent for service in the pacific theater of war and later in occupied Japan. The school moved from Camp Savage to Fort Snelling in 1944 and the post closed in 1946.
One remaining building being used by the Highway Department near the town of Savage, Scott County, Minnesota.
Visited: 7 Sep 2013