Chain Rock Battery
Chain Rock Battery (1792-1800) - Chain Rock Battery was a Canadian coastal gun battery on Point Pleasant in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Deactivated circa 1800.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Halifax.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
In early July 1762 the French capture of St. John's aroused fears that Halifax would be next attacked. The defenses of Halifax were ordered upgraded. A boom was built across the North West Arm with timber and chains that measured 120 fantoms long with one end anchored at chain rock on Point Pleasant.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
The Revolutionary War brought about the addition of new defenses and upgrading of old defenses. Two small new batteries were constructed at Chain Rock facing south. They were named North West Arm Battery No. 1, a blunted redan with three 6-pounders and North West Arm Battery No. 2, a tiny redan with two 4-pounders.
In 1796 a boom was was again placed across the North West Arm from Chain Rock just as had been done in 1762. The Chain Battery was built to defend it on the site of the North West Arm Battery No. 1.
The Chain Rock Battery was abandoned about 1800.
Part of Point Pleasant Park. No period guns or mounts in place. Concrete remains.
Visited: 22 Jun 2013