Davis WWII Radar Site
Davis WWII Radar Site (1941-1945) - A World War II U.S. Army Radar Site established in 1941. Used to provide early warning of enemy aircraft approaching the North Carolina Coast. Located in the town of Davis in Carteret County, North Carolina. Deactivated in 1945. Also known as AWS Station 15 and Davis AWS Station.
This radar site was established in late December 1941 just after Pearl Harbor and the entry of the U.S. into World War II. This site was a part of a chain of radar stations along the East Coast of the United States and Canada. These secret radar sites were built to provide early warning of approaching enemy aircraft and ships but also served to assist friendly aircraft that were lost or had in-flight emergencies.
The U.S. Army Facilities Report for 31 Dec 1945 records the site as 7 acres owned by the Government, purchased for $1,113. The site had a housing capacity of 34 enlisted men and 2 officers. Construction cost for the site was listed as $46,914.
Deactivated in fall of 1945 after the end of World War II.
Reportedly only the antenna pads still remain. The site was visited but no remains were located.
Visited: 26 Mar 2018