Fort Apache (1870-1922) - First established in 1870 as Camp Ord by Major John Green, 1st U.S. Cavalry, named after Brigadier General Edward O.C. Ord (Cullum 1002). Also known as Camp Mogollon, Camp Thomas, Camp Apache. On 5 Apr 1879 it was named Fort Apache. Abandoned in 1922.
Originally established on the White Mountain Indian Reservation to stop Coyotero Apache Indian raids on settlers. The land that the fort occupied was put back into the public domain 26 Jan 1877 and designated a military reservation by a 1 Feb 1877 executive order. The military reservation was transferred to the Interior Department by executive order on 4 Oct 1922 and it became an Indian School established by the Indian Service.
Must See! Currently a part of the Fort Apache National Historic District. Twenty-seven historic buildings make up the core of the 288 acre National Register Historic District.
Visited: 4 Mar 2015