Fort Babcock (1)
Fort Babcock (1) (1813-1815) - A War of 1812 coastal fort first established in 1813 in present day Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland. Named Fort Babcock (probably) after Captain Samuel Babcock (Cullum 32), U.S. Corps of Engineers, designer of the fortification. Abandoned in 1815. Also known as Six Gun Battery or Sailor’s Battery.
History of Fort Babcock
Established in 1813 during the War of 1812 by the City of Baltimore from a commissioned design by Captain Samuel Babcock, U.S. Corps of Engineers. Built as an earthen gun battery with six 18-pounder French naval guns on the shore of the Patapsco Ferry Branch about 1.5 miles west of Fort McHenry.
In 1814 during the Battle of Baltimore it was armed with six 18-pounders and manned by Sailing Master John Adams Webster and seventy-five sailors from the U.S. Chesapeake Flotilla. On the evening of 13 Sep 1814 Fort Babcock and nearby Fort Covington (3) and Fort Look-Out repulsed a British fleet attempting to outflank Fort McHenry.
Abandoned in 1815.
No remains in Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland.
Fort Babcock (1) Picture Gallery