|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Beale (1859-1868) - Established in 1859 by Captain James H. Carleton, 1st U.S. Dragoons and named after Lieutenant Edward F. Beale, U.S. Navy, of camel experiment fame. Abandoned at the end of the U.S. Civil War and reoccupied in 1866. Finally abandoned in 1868. Also known as Fort Piute, Fort Piute Hill.
Fort Beale History
One of a chain of military stations erected to protect the travel route from San Bernardino across the Mojave Desert to Fort Mojave. All were strategically situated near sources of water. Constructed of rock.
Ruins on private land.
Location: Near Piute Springs, San Bernardino County, California, about 25 miles west of Fort Mojave
Maps & Images Lat: 35.115 Long: -114.98444
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 31
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 28-29
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 83
Fort Beale Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!