Fort Bourbon (2)
Fort Bourbon (2) (1741-1750, 1750-1758) - A French fur trading fort established in 1741 for Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye near present day Grand Rapids, Manitoba. The actual builder was probably Philippe Leduc. Abandoned in 1750 and replaced by a second Fort Bourbon at Cedar Lake in 1750. The second Fort Bourbon was destroyed in 1758 during the French & Indian War.
Fort Bourbon #1
Established as a French fur trading fort in 1741, just below the "grand rapids" of the Saskatchewan River, just west of the Lake Winnipeg shore. The fort was sited by the youngest La Vérendrye son, Louis-Joseph. The father then sent an expedition of some 12 men to establish the fort in 1741. The actual builder was probably Philippe Leduc, a clerk or partner of La Verendrye. This Fort Bourbon was abandoned in 1750.
Fort Bourbon #2
There is much confusion over the location(s) of the various Fort Bourbons made even more difficult by a map makers error that placed a Fort Bourbon on the Red Deer River. A second Fort Bourbon was built at Cedar Lake and that lake was renamed Lake Bourbon. At the time of La Verendrye's death in December, 1749, Fort Bourbon was still in its original location but was soon abandoned in 1750. The second French Fort Bourbon at Cedar Lake lasted from 1750 to 1758. It was pillaged and burned down by Indians in 1758 during the French & Indian War and was not rebuilt.