Fort Davis (7) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War fort established in 1861 in Southeast Washington DC. Named Fort Davis after Colonel Benjamin F. Davis, (Cullum 1662), who was killed at the Combat of Beverly Ford, Virginia, on 9 Jun 1863. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Davis
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in August 1861 as an earthen fort with a perimeter of 220 yards and emplacements for 12 guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Davis, Lieut. D. D. Dana commanding. – Garrison, one-half company Ninth Unattached Company Massachusetts Volunteer Artillery–1 commissioned officer, 1 ordnance-sergeant, and 32 men. Armament, five 6-pounder field guns, three 24-pounder barbette, three 8-inch siege howitzers, one Coehorn mortar. Magazines, two; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply. Implements, complete and serviceable. Garrison not drilled at artillery."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Some remains in Fort Davis Park in Washington DC.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531562
Location: Fort Davis Park, Southeast Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.86639 Long: -76.95056
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 134.
- NPS Civil War Defenses of Washington - Appendix E: General Reports About the Defenses
Visited: 25 May 2013