Fort Defiance (13)
Fort Defiance (13) (1776-1776) - A Patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1776 near Brooklyn, Kings County, New York. Named Fort Defiance by Colonel Henry Knox's artillerymen who were posted there. Destroyed by the British on 27 Sep 1776.
History of Fort Defiance
A Patriot Revolutionary War redoubt established on 10 Apr 1776 under the direction of Patriot General Charles Lee. Built to mount four 18-pounder cannons en-barbette at Red Hook in present day south Brooklyn. The site was described by Lossing as on "... a small island, close to shore at the termination of Conover and Van Brunt Streets, south of the Atlantic docks."
Fort Defiance was destroyed by the British on 27 Sep 1776 possibly in retaliation for its firing on the British ship HMS Roebuck on 22 Aug 1776.
The actual site location has been in dispute over the years and markers in the area have reflected differing locations. Recently reported that a marker has been placed at Valentino Pier. Map points indicate two of the cited locations. The actual site of the fort is obscured by changes in the topography and the vast amount of fill that has been placed in that area.