Fort Dickerson (1863-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1863 in Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee. Named Fort Dickerson in G.O. 37 (Army of the Ohio), 11 Dec 1863 after Captain Jonathan C. Dickerson, 112th Illinois Volunteer Mounted Infantry, who was killed 18 Sep 1863 near Cleveland, Tennessee. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Dickerson
Established in 1863 as a strong earthworks fortification with 25 gun platforms. Construction wasn't completed until February 1864. Withstood the Confederate siege of Knoxville between 17 Dec 1863 and 4 Dec 1863.
The fort was abandoned at the end of the war in 1865.
Earthworks remains and three markers. The earthworks are considerably worn down and only depressions indicate where the magazine was.
Visited: 21 May 2016
Fort Dickerson Picture Gallery