Fort Good Hope (2)
Fort Good Hope (2) (1633-1654) - A Dutch fort and trading post established in 1633 by Jacob van Curler in present day Hartford, Connecticut. Abandoned in 1654. Also known as Fort Huys de Hoop, Fort Hartford and Fort Hope.
Fort Good Hope History
In 1633 the Dutch built a fort constructed of yellow brick that would also serve as a trading post Huys de Hoop-Fort Hope, or the House of Hope. It established the Dutch presence in present day Connecticut and it was hoped that the small garrison of Dutch soldiers would provide enough stability to seed a Dutch settlement. A blockhouse and palisade were added to the fort along with two cannons.
The English built Fort Saybrook at the mouth of the Connecticut River in 1635 and the Dutch fort became irrelevent. By 1639 only fourteen or fifteen soldiers remained at the fort and the English already had the beginnings of a town at Hartford across from it. The Dutch abandoned the fort in 1654.
Mention is made of the fort in several markers around Hartford.