Fort Griffin (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Griffin (2) (1863-1865) - A Confederate Fort established in Mar 1863 by Major Julius Kellersberg, CSA, with 13 engineers and 500 slaves. Named after Colonel William H. Griffin, commander of the 21st Texas Battalion. Captured at the end of the U.S. Civil War by U.S. Naval forces on 25 May 1865. Also known as Fort Sabine (2).
Fort Griffin (2) History
The fort was triangular in shape and housed six gun emplacements built into sawtooth reinforced earthworks along the front.
Fort Griffin (2) was the site of significant action in Sep 1863 when the defenders lead by Lt. Richard Dowling turned back a superior Union invasion force of four gunboats at the Battle of Sabine Pass. The Confederate gunners placed aiming stakes in the Pass waters and as the Union gunboats passed by the stakes the gunners raked them with cannon fire. Two of the gunboats were sunk and the other two were driven back. The Union forces were not able to take Sabine Pass until the end of the war.
Now Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park. No remnants of the fort are visible and the actual site is now under the waters of the Pass. A concrete model of the fort and the ships involved in the battle of Sabine Pass is on the grounds.
Location: Sabine Pass Battleground State Historical Park, Sabine Pass, Jefferson County, Texas.
Maps & Images Lat: 29.7329 Long: -93.8744
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 774
Visited: 12 Apr 2013
Fort Griffin (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!