Fort William Henry Harrison (1)
Fort William Henry Harrison (1) (1895-1913) - Authorized by Congressional act of 12 May 1892 and first named Fort Harrison (2) after then-President Benjamin Harrison on 13 Dec 1892 but not actually established until 23 Sep 1895. The name was changed to Fort William Henry Harrison in 1906 to eliminate a name conflict with an Indiana Fort Harrison (1). First garrisoned with troops from Fort Assinniboine on 23 Sep 1895. The Troops were withdrawn in 1913.
Established as a part of a consolidation program that concentrated troops in a few larger installations so that smaller installations could be abandoned. Located near a rail line, it was thought that troops could be rushed by rail to any trouble spot. The architecture of the fort buildings is almost identical to other western forts of that era, see Fort George Wright.
The fort was placed in caretaker status on 15 Jan 1913 and abandoned in April 1913.
Currently home to Montana National Guard units and the U.S. Veterans Administration facility.
Visited: 11-22 May 2021, 19 May 2010