Fort Buttermilk (1756-1758) - A French & Indian War fort established in 1756 near Taylor, Hardy County, West Virginia. Located on the east side of the South Potomac River. Abandoned in 1758. Also known as Fort Waggener and Fort Holland (2).
A stockaded fort was established in 1756 by Captain Thomas Waggener under the orders of Colonel George Washington. On 16 May 1757, Governor Robert Dinwiddie ordered Colonel Washington to post 70 men under Captain Waggener at the fort.