|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Hunter (1755-1758, 1763) - A fortified settler stockade and gristmill established in 1755 during the French & Indian War by Samuel Hunter in present day Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Later garrisoned by provincial troops untill 1758. Abandoned as a fortification in 1758 but temporarly occupied during 1763. Also known as Fort at Hunter's Mill and Captain Thomas McKee's Fort.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
The stockade and blockhouse was built at the mouth of Fishing Creek on the east bank of the Susquehanna River by Samuel Hunter, probably in response to the Penn's Creek Massacre on 16 Oct 1755. In January 1756 the fort was garrisoned by provincial troops from Colonel William Clapham's Augusta Regiment and commanded by Captains Thomas McKee and James Patterson. The fort was used to protect local settlers and as a supply point for the construction of Fort Augusta. A barracks was built outside the stockade to house troops headed for the garrison at Fort Augusta.
The post was abandoned as a fortification in 1758 but was temporarily occupied during 1763.
The site is now occupied by the Fort Hunter Mansion and Museum. Part of Fort Hunter County Park in Harrisburg, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania
Location: Fort Hunter County Park, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania. Street address is 5300 North Front Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Maps & Images Lat: 40.342603 Long: -76.910133
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 683
- North American Forts - Fort Hunter
- Wikipedia - Fort Hunter
- Fort Hunter Site
- Fort Hunter Excavations
- American Historical Register - Fort Hunter
Visited: 20 Apr 2012
Fort Hunter Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!