Fort Lamerick (1856-1856) -A volunteer post established 1 May 1856 by Oregon Mounted Volunteers under Major James Bruce during the Rogue River Indian War of 1855-56. Named after Brigadier General John K. Lamerick, Oregon Mounted Volunteers. The post was little more breastwork of logs enclosing a camping place. The war ended in the summer of 1856 and the post was abandoned.
Unknown, Curry County, Oregon
Location: Big Meadows about 2 miles north of the Rogue River in Curry County, Oregon.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.71806 Long: -123.83806
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 666
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 135
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 370
- Victor, Frances Fuller, The Early Indian Wars of Oregon: compiled from the Oregon Archives and other Original Sources with Muster Rolls, Farnk C. Baker, State Printer, Salem, Oregon, 1894, page 403
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1158091