Fort Leonard Wood (1)
Fort Leonard Wood (1) (1940-1946, 1950-Present) - First established 3 Dec 1940 in Pulaski County, Missouri. Named Fort Leonard Wood 3 Jan 1941 after Major General Leonard Wood, U.S. Army Chief of Staff 1910-1914. Closed in 1946 and was reactivated in 1950. Active military installation.
Established just before World War II as a U.S. Army training center. The reservation encompassed some 70,000 acres and was originally built out with some 1600 buildings. These included 600 enlisted barracks, officer quarters, 200 mess halls, and 100 day rooms. Support buildings included supply buildings, fire stations, chapels, 5 movie theaters, 21 PXs, and the huge post hospital complex.
During World War II the post trained some 300,000 troops and claimed to be the largest combat engineering training center in the world. The post closed in 1946.
The post was reactivated in 1950 after the start of the Korean War to provide basic training and became a permanent installation on 21 Mar 1956.
Active military installation. Home to the Maneuver Center of Excellence, with schools for Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear training. Includes major engineer and military police training facilities.
Visited: 21 Jul 2021