|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Loyal (1680-1690) - Established as a colonial log palisaded fort in 1680 in present day Portland, Cumberland County, Maine. Captured by the French in 1690 and destroyed. Also known as Fort Loyall.
Fort Loyal History
Established as a colonial log palisaded fort and settler refuge in 1680 and by 1890 had four blockhouses and mounted eight guns. The fort was captured by the French and their Indian allies in May 1690. The fort was under the command of Captain Sylvanus Davis who surrendered the fort on condition that the occupants be spared. The French under Sieur de Portneuf violated the agreement and all but Captain Davis and four others were massacred. The fort was burned down.
Plaque only on a waterfront building in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine
Location: At the waterfront end of India Street in Portland, Cumberland County, Maine.
Maps & Images Lat: 43.659511 Long: -70.248191
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 367
Visited: 24 Jun 2012
Fort Loyal Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!