Fort Manuel Lisa (1)
Fort Manuel Lisa (1) (1809-1813, 1823) - A Fur Trading Fort established in 1809 by Manuel Lisa and Reuben Lewis of the Missouri Fur Company near present day Pick City, Mercer County, North Dakota. Abandoned in 1813. Reoccupied by Major Joshua Pilcher in 1822/1823 as Fort Vanderberg. Also known as Fort Manuel (2), Fort Lisa (1), Fort Mandan (2) and Fort Lewis (7).
Abandoned by the Missouri Fur Company in 1813.
Site submerged behind Garrison Dam near Pick City, Mercer County, North Dakota.
Some confusion exists over the naming of the forts created by Manuel Lisa and his company, exact locations are unknown for some of them and this has led to further confusion. The forts and their locations are detailed below:
Fort Manuel Lisa (1) Picture Gallery