Fort McAllister (1)
Fort McAllister (1) (1861-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War Coastal Fort established in 1861 by Captain John McCrady, Confederate Engineers to protect Savannah, Georgia. Named after the family of Colonel Joseph L. McAllister. Captured by Union forces in 1864 by the forces of Union General William T. Sherman in his march to the sea. Maintained as a Union prison until the end of the war.
Fort McAllister (1) History
This was an earthworks fortification built in 1861 on the plantation of Confederate Lieutenant Colonel Joseph L. McAllister. The fort was built to prevent access to Savannah by Union naval forces and successfully held off Union bombardments from seaward. The earthworks construction enabled quick repair of damage caused by the bombardments. Fort McAllister was armed with 11 large caliber siege guns, 12 field pieces and one 10" mortar. The fort successfully held off seven Union attacks until an assault was mounted from the land side on 13 Dec 1864 by the forces of Union General William T. Sherman in his march to the sea. The fort had not been constructed to hold off a full scale attack from the land side and it fell after a 15‑minute battle.
The fort was maintained as a prison by Union forces for captured Confederate troops until the end of the war.
Now a part of Fort McAllister Historic State Park, Bryan County, Georgia. Period guns, carriages and magazines in place. Must See.
Visited: 18 Jan 2010