Fort McPherson (3)
Fort McPherson (3) (1864-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1864 in present day Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort McPherson after Major General James B. McPherson, (Cullum 1579), who was killed at the Battle of Atlanta 22 Jul 1864. The fort was never completed and the site was abandoned in 1865.
History of Fort McPherson
Fort McPherson was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Started in 1864 as a five bastion fort but never comleted. The incomplete fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains or marker at the site in Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington County, Virginia. Two sites have been described as the location of the fort but the Cemetery website describes it as "Fort McPherson (now Section 11)" and that is the map point used here.