Fort Meade (3)
Fort Meade (3) (1849-1854, 1857-1857, 1861-1864) - A U.S. Army post established in 1849 on the Peace River in the present-day city of Fort Meade in Polk County, Florida. Named for its builder and first commander, Lieutenant George G. Meade (Cullum 804), who later rose to the rank of Major General during the U.S. Civil War. The post was initially abandoned in 1854 but reoccupied and again abandoned in 1857. Occupied by Confederate forces from 1861 to 1864 during the U.S. Civil War.
A U.S. Army post was established 19 Dec 1849 1849 on the Peace River in the present-day city of Fort Meade. The post was established by nine companies drawn from the 1st U.S. Artillery, the 3rd U.S. Infantry, the 4th U.S. Infantry and the 7th U.S. Infantry. The fort was initially abandoned 14 Nov 1854 but reoccupied on 13 Mar 1857 and again abandoned on 20 Sep 1857. Occupied by Confederate forces from 1861 to 1864 during the U.S. Civil War.
Marker and monument located at the fort site in Heritage Park in the city of Fort Meade, Polk County, Florida
Visited: 1 Feb 2012