Fort Morris (4)
Fort Morris (4) (1755-1759, 1763-1764) - A Pennsylvania Militia French & Indian War Fort established in 1755 in Shippensburg, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. Named Fort Morris after then Pennsylvania Governor Robert H. Morris. Garrison removed in 1759 but regarrisoned in 1763 during Pontiac's War. Finally abandoned as a fortification in 1764.
History of Fort Morris
Built as a log stockade with four bastions enclosing officers quarters, three barracks, storehouses, a guard house and a well.
Reactivated in 1763 during Pontiac's War. Finally abandoned as a fortification in 1764.
Three sites have been associated with the location of the fort but the most probable site is at 333 East Burd St, Shippensburg. A well and artifacts mark this site. One marker and one stone mounted plaque are located at different sites.