|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Niobrara History
Established 22 Apr 1880 to protect settlers from hostile Sioux Indians and to oversee the Spotted Tail Indian Agency. Abandoned on 22 Oct 1906 as a military post but remained a cavalry remount station until 1911. Turned over to the Department of Interior in 1912.
Location: Cherry County, Nebraska.
Maps & Images Lat: 42.8461162 Long: -100.5337439
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 485
Fort Niobrara Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!