Fort Noble (1734-1745+) - A British colonial militia Fort established in 1734 near present-day Phippsburg in Sagadahoc County, Maine. Named Fort Noble after Lt. Colonel Arthur Noble. Abandoned sometime after 1745. Assigned Location ID ME00083.
Established in 1734 by Lt. Colonel Arthur Noble, "on his own initiative", as a refuge for area settlers against hostile Indians and French raiders. The defense was a British colonial militia fort consisting of a square palisade with two blockhouses flanking the south side gate and a long internal single-story building. It was still in use as late as 1745. The fort was located along the Kennebec River at Pleasant (now Morse) Cove at the southern end of Fiddler's Reach.
Lt. Colonel Arthur Noble was a British colonial militia leader who served under Sir William Pepperell in the successful battle for Louisbourg, Nova Scotia in 1745 during King George's War. He was killed at the Battle of Grand Pré, Nova Scotia (10-11 Feb 1747) after his command was surprised by the French and their allies who attacked their winter quarters during a heavy snowstorm. Both sides suffered heavy losses with about 120 men killed and many wounded
Some archeological remains at the site which is located along the Kennebec River at Morse Cove at the southern end of Fiddler's Reach.