Fort Parker (1) (1834-1836) - Constructed in 1833-34 by John Parker and three of his sons to protect the family from the Comache Indians. Also known as Parker's Fort and possibly as Fort Sterling.
Fort Parker (1) History
The most significant event occurred in May, 1836 when hostile Comanche Indians attacked the fort; 5 settlers were killed, 5 were kidnapped, and 21 survived. The most famous of the captives was Cynthia Ann Parker. She adapted to Indian ways and later married Chief Peta Nocona. The most famous of their three children was Quanah Parker, the last great Comanche chief. Cynthia Ann Parker was later rescued along with her young daughter but neither could adapt to white civilization and they both died shortly thereafter.
Fort Parker is on a 37.5-acre city park between Groesbeck and Mexia in Limestone County. The park was built 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and was rebuilt again in 1967. It is managed by the City of Groesbeck, Texas.
Location: State Highway 14 out of Groesbeck, Texas four miles north to Park Road 35 to park headquarters.
Maps & Images
Lat: 31.563837 Long: -96.547937
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 771-772
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 164
- Lease, Wayne, Lone Star Guide: Texas Forts, Texas Forts Distributors LLC, Garland TX, 2001, ISBN: 0-9709328-0-4, page 98
- Pierce, Gerald S., Texas Under Arms: The Camps, Posts, Forts & Military Towns of the Republic of Texas 1836-1846, Encino Press, Austin TX, 1969, ISBN/ASIN: B0006CYB9I, page 116
Visited: 8 Oct 2007
Fort Parker (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!
Fort Parker Entrance Sign on Route 14
Fort Parker Northeast Bastion
Fort Parker Inside the Stockade
Fort Parker Southwest Bastion from the Inside