Fort Qu’Appelle NWMP Post
Fort Qu’Appelle NWMP Post (1876-1887) - A North West Mounted Police (NWMP) post first established in 1876 in present day Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan. Abandoned in 1887.
Fort Qu’Appelle NWMP Post History
The North West Mounted Police (NWMP) established a small outpost at Fort Qu’Appelle in 1876. Initially the post was staffed with five men. It was enlarged in 1880 as "B" Division headquarters with a complement of four sergeants, five corporals and twenty seven constables supervised by Superintendent James M. Walsh and Inspector Samuel B. Steele.
The "B" Division headquarters of the NWMP was transferred from Fort Qu'Appelle to Regina in July 1882 and the post was reduced to a small sub-post. The post was briefly expanded again in 1885 during the North West Rebellion and served as a stopping point for General Middleton and the North West Field Force on his march to the critical battle at the rebel community of Batoche.
By 1887 only three men were stationed at the post and the decision was made to move the post into town using material from the old post to construct a small barracks, jail and barn. The move signaled the end of the old Fort Qu’Appelle NWMP Post.
The site was located at the present day golf course in Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan, Canada. A marker and an open kiosk are located on the site in front of some foundation stonework from the original post. The kiosk contains a narrative of the post history and some period pictures of the post and significant events.
Visited: 30 Jul 2014