Fort Quitman (1)
Fort Quitman (1) (1858-1863) (1868-1877) (1881-1882) - Established 28 Sep 1858 by Capt. Arthur T. Lee, 8th U.S. Infantry and named after Maj. Gen. John Anthony Quitman, who died 17 Jul 1858. Abandoned 1882.
Established to protect travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road from Indians and Mexican bandits. The fort was occupied by Confederate troops in 1861 at the outbreak of the U.S. Civil War, and re-occupied by Union troops from California 1862 - 1863. The post was reactivated after the war in 1868 and abandoned 5 Jan 1877. The post was reactivated during the campaign against the Apache chief, Victorio, 1880-1882.
Only a small cemetery, which is probably at the site of the post cemetery and a few low adobe mounds where the Commanding officers Quarters, a barracks, and the post hospital stood can be seen today. Most of the fort has been turned into agricultural land. The remains of the post lie just below a pole line about 1/4 mile south of the cemetery. Bits of period glass and nails litter much of the site thereby making it easily identified.