Fort Reynolds (2)
Fort Reynolds (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Reynolds in G.O. 313, 17 Sep 1863, after Major General John F. Reynolds, (Cullum 1084), who was killed at Gettysburg 1 Jul 1863. The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Also known as Fort Blencker, named for Brigadier General Louis Belenker who's troops built the fort.
History of Fort Reynolds (2)
Fort Reynolds (2) was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in September 1861 as a redoubt with a perimeter of 360 yards and emplacements for 12 guns.
A 17 May 1864 inspection report noted the following: "Fort Reynolds, Major Hemingway commanding.–Garrison, one company First Connecticut Heavy Artillery– 3 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 147 men. Armament, four 12-pounder field howitzers, four 32- pounder sea-coast guns, three 30-pounder Parrotts, two 24-pounder Coehorn mortars. Magazines, two; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, ordinary. Discipline, fair. Garrison weak for this armament."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker only. Part of the fort site was included in Fort Reynolds Park in Arlington County, Virginia.