|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Smallwood (1896-1928) - An Endicott Period Coastal Fort named for Revolutionary War Maj. Gen. William Smallwood who later became governor of Maryland. Sold to City of Baltimore in 1928 for use as a city park.
Fort Smallwood History
Established to protect the entrance to Baltimore Harbor.
Located on a 100 acre tract in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, purchased by the Federal Government in 1896. Battery construction began in 1899 and the first battery was completed in 1900. Usually garrisoned by detachment from Fort Howard (1).
Part of the Harbor Defense of Baltimore.
Click on Battery links below
|No.||Caliber||Type Mount||Service Years||Notes|
|Battery Hartshorne||2||6"||Disappearing Carriage||1900-1927|
|Battery Sykes||2||3"||Pedestal Mount||1905-1927||Destroyed|
Purchased in 1928 for use as a Baltimore City Park. On April 1, 2006 Fort Smallwood Park became the newest regional park in the Anne Arundel County Park System. No period guns or carriages. Battery Sykes is completely gone replaced by a parking lot. Battery Hartshorne is sealed up with the battery building completely exposed with no access to the gun level. Several period buildings survive but are not open to the public including the barracks building (circa 1901).
Location: Rock Point, Maryland. At the Patapsco River entrance opposite Fort Howard (1).
Maps & Images Lat: 39.16611 Long: -76.47806
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 390
- North American Forts - Fort Smallwood
- Coastal Defense Study Group, CDSG Press, CDSG Digital Library
Visited: 2 Apr 2009
Fort Smallwood Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!