Fort Tecumseh (1822-1832) - First established in 1822 as the primary trading post of the Columbia Fur Company and sold to the American Fur Company in 1827. Named after the Shawnee Indian Chief Tecumseh. Abandoned in 1832 for Fort Pierre (1).
Established in 1822 as the principal trading post of the Columbia Fur Company. Sold to the American Fur Company 5 Dec 1827 with an inventory of $14,453. Abandoned 15 Apr 1832 for Fort Pierre (1).
Location: Stanley County, South Dakota.
Maps & Images
Lat: 44.3755376 Long: -100.3901342
- Multi Maps from ACME
- Maps from Bing
- Maps from Google
- Elevation: 1,450'
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 734