Fort Tillinghast (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in present day Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Tillinghast in G.O. 18, 30 Sep 1861, after Captain Otis H. Tillinghast (Cullum 1343), who was mortally wounded at Bull Run on 21 Jul 1861 and who died 23 Jul 1861. The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Tillinghast
Fort Tillinghast was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in August 1861 as a semi-circular stockaded lunette with a perimeter of 298 yards and emplacements for 12 guns (later 13). Armament included four 24 pounder cannons, one 24 pounder howitzer, four 30 pounder Parrott rifles, two 20 pounder Parrott rifles and two 24 pounder Coehorn mortars. The lunette enclosed the 12 gun platforms, two magazines and a bombproof.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Tillinghast, Major Rolfe commanding.–Garrison, two companies First Massachusetts Heavy Artillery– 7 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 220 men. Armament, one 24- pounder field howitzer (smooth), two 20-pounder Parrotts (rifled), three 24-pounder siege guns (smooth), one 24-pounder F. D. howitzer, four 30-pounder Parrotts (rifled), two 24-pounder Coehorn mortars. Magazines being rebuilt; at present unserviceable; work progressing slowly; ammunition kept in bomb-proof. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and in good order. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison sufficient for the work."
The fort was ordered abandoned and returned to the owners in June 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker at Arlington Blvd. and North 2nd St. in Arlington County, Virginia.